Service History Check
Buying a used car and wanting to check service history of a car? It can be a bit of a mindfield, but it is possible.
Unfortunately fake service history is still quite common in the UK therefore it is worth following the steps below to know how to spot it.
See which Services & Repairs might be due
We will show you the costs of Services & Repairs plus show you what your car might fail its next MOT on
All information direct from the Car Manufacturers, no card details needed!
How to check service history of a car?
The bad news is that there isn’t a central database of service history as there is for MOTs. There are only two ways to find out the actual service history:
- Ask the car owner to show you the car’s service history if he/she has the service book or invoices
- Contact the garage/dealership where the vehicle gets serviced
How do you spot fake service history?
- Get Car Guide Report which will show you what the service history should look like
- Ask to see a copy of the service book
- Check over the service book and if anything looks suspicious write down the names of dealerships/garages.
- Check if they are genuine mechanics/garages online.
Why is full service history so important?
A well maintained car will depreciate less and is also likely to cost you less in the future. If however, you are looking to save yourself a few bucks, missing service history is your perfect opportunity! On average, used car buyers expect to see 20 percent discount on a vehicle without full service history.
What should a service history look like? And when is the service due?
Not sure what the service history should look like or what service is due soon? Try Car Guide! With our personalised buyer’s report you will be equipped with the information you need to negotiate the best deal! On top of service schedules and MOT history you will also find out what service is due next, what is your car likely to fail the next MOT on and you can see the true cost of ownership. Buy like a pro with Car Guide.